Lirik Lagu Sinopsis Film Gaya Hidup
Blackberry LG Mobile Nokia Samsung Sony Ericsson
Klasemen L.Italia Klasemen L.Inggris Jadwal Liga Italia Jadwal Liga Inggris
Resto Enak di Jakarta Resto Romantis di Jkt Hokben Delivery Bakmi GM Delivery PHD - Pizza Hut
Minggu, 18 September 2011 | 01.23 | 0 Comments

The Simple Dollar - “Ten Pieces of Inspiration #37”

The Simple Dollar - “Ten Pieces of Inspiration #37”


Ten Pieces of Inspiration #37

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 07:00 AM PDT

Each week, I highlight ten things each week that inspired me to greater financial, personal, and professional success. Hopefully, they will inspire you as well.

1. Ninite
I spent some significant time setting up a computer for someone this week. This tool made that task drastically easier by giving me a single installation package to put a bunch of basic programs on this computer. Firefox, iTunes, AVG, SpyBot, AdAware, Picasa, Flash, PDF Creator, and several others – all in one installation.

I actually made a customized install program to keep on a thumb drive for future use using Ninite. Incredibly useful idea and great execution.

2. Lauren Zalaznick on the conscience of television
The interesting argument here is that television (and other forms of media consumption) directly reflects the moral, political, and social needs of the audience. Of course, when you stare at your own reflection, you begin to see certain things more deeply and your view of it shifts.

It’s a really interesting idea.

3. Gandhi’s seven deadly sins
These seven statements made me think about my life and the choices I’ve made.

“Seven Deadly Sins:
Wealth without work
Pleasure without conscience
Science without humanity
Knowledge without character
Politics without principle
Commerce without morality
Worship without sacrifice.”
– Mahatma Gandhi

Thoughtful stuff.

4. Martin Lindstrom on how Whole Foods (and other grocers) prime you to shop
This is an excellent and well-written article that sums up beautifully the different tactics that grocers use to convince people to buy more than they need to.

The use of Whole Foods specifically here is a great choice, revealing how they’re not really very different from any other grocery chain.

5. Alfred Montapert on the ramifications of choices
Every single time we make a choice, there is some consequence from it. When we spend fifty cents on one thing, we now don’t have that fifty cents to spend on another thing.

“Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of his choices.” – Alfred A. Montapert

Our success relies on making a lot of tough choices that lead us down a path to something greater.

6. Steven Johnson on the source of good ideas
Good ideas come from collaboration and community. People interacting with one another and sharing ideas pushes everyone there further forward than they would have gone on their own.

With my closest friends, I usually try to talk about the things that challenge me the most – issues of politics and religion and parenting. We push each other to a better understanding of all of it.

7. Orchard in Bloom, Louveeciennes (1872) by Camille Pissarro
Last week, I mentioned how much I enjoyed Pissarro’s paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago. I spent some time looking at a large number of his paintings online (with my daughter on my lap) this week, and this was my favorite.

Orchard in Bloom, Louveciennes by Camille Pissarro

Great paintings make me yearn to be in that place, even if that place is ordinary. This certainly fulfills that criteria.

Thanks to cliff1066 for the image.

8. Anne Herbert on libraries and money
A great book will get you through the most uncertain of times.

“Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.” – Anne Herbert

I wouldn’t want to imagine a world with no libraries.

9. I Loved My Friend by Langston Hughes
It speaks for itself.

“I loved my friend
He went away from me
There’s nothing more to say
The poem ends,
Soft as it began-
I loved my friend.”

- Langston Hughes

10. Peanuts dancing to Linus and Lucy
After mentioning that I’m learning how to play “Linus and Lucy,” several people wanted to know why the song sounded familar to them.

It’s from the 1962 special A Charlie Brown Christmas, which I’ve seen more times than I can count.


 
Copyright Terjago © 2010 - All right reserved